ABOUT

history.jpg

A HISTORY OF BUSSELTON TENNIS CLUB  (BTC)   1904 – 1998

  • 1903 Busselton Municipal Council reports the expenditure for asphalting the tennis court on the Recreation Ground.

  • 1904 A group of lady players started playing on the asphalt court thus the beginning of the 2nd tennis club in Busselton (BTC)  began. The 1st being  Newtown (Vasse).

  • 1905 The Busselton Carnival  begins –participants from bowls, tennis, croquet

  • 1907 Lease of land at Rec Ground for 10 years to build 2 grass courts

  • 1912 The Newtown Tennis Club (Vasse) amalgamates with BTC – called Busselton Tennis Club

  • 1914-18 War Years – no records

  • 1920’s lots of comps against neighbouring clubs- Newtown, Harvey, Capel, Yongarillup, Bunbury, North Collie, Donnybrook

  • 1927 Easter Tournaments commence

  • 1927 Erection of a club house and shed  - now 3 grass courts

  • 1930 Sand dunes and beach scrub cleared for a site at the beach front to have 6 gravel courts – 2 to be made playable initially – 42 unemployed men (Depression) given work to do this.

  • 21 November 1930: Official Opening of 2 gravel hard courts  and a miniature golf court on grass in front of the bandstand. Electric light is being installed on tennis courts to allow night play. Tennis still played at Rec Ground also.

  • 1933 BTC reformed – had been defunct for several years

  • 1936 3 more grass courts at Rec Ground and 2 gravel courts at beach site bituminised

  • 1942 RAAF offered free use of hard courts.

  • 1943: Men and women of the services offered half fees.

  • 1943: 5 dozen tennis balls sent to Harris Scarfe & Sandovers for recovering service personnel 

  • World War 2 years: Patriot Tennis Days were held to raise money for the Red Cross Prisoners of War Fund

  • 1946 Annual Easter Tournament revised – was abandoned during war years

  • 1949 BTC endeavouring to raise 400 pounds to finance the move from Churchill Park to the beach front where 10 grass courts are to be constructed adjacent to the bitumen courts and pavilion (total cost 1,200 pounds).

  • 1952/3 season:  Club in recess for this year while grass courts are grown and Pavilion at aerodrome dismantled and rebuilt at beach site.

  • 1960 Sheep belonging to Mr V Walsh are now on the grass courts for winter to keep down winter growth.

  • 1971 Official Opening of new tennis club house – old one (probably pavilion) unhygienic and dangerous

  • 1976 For the first time BTC has elected a woman President – Marion Kelleher

  • 1978 Cyclone Alby: “The sea was so high it flooded some of the tennis courts”.

  • 1978: 3 more grass courts and a hit up wall

  • 1998 now 15 grass courts. BTC secures a grant from Dept of Sport and Rec towards a new club house.

  • 14th May 98: At end of year Trophy Presentations President Kevin Merifield said it had been a momentous year for BTC with a start to be made on the new club house.

colour hist pic.jpg

THE HISTORY        1998 –  ON

  • 1998 – Club raised $80,000, Busselton Shire chipped in $58,000, $120,000 from Ministry of Sport and Recreation towards new club house in Marine Tce

  • 24th March 99 The new and impressive $400,000 club house was opened

  • 2001 Dual Wimbledon Champion Evonne Goolagong  visits BTC to coach local girls.

  • 2001 The Governor’s Cup was held at BTC – the first time it had been held out of Perth

  • 2003 An 18 year lease extension by the Busselton Shire Council, but it’s long term future may be affected by the Busselton Town Centre Guide Plan is adopted by the Shire

  • 2009 BTC informed the club in 2009 that at the end of its lease in 2021 it would have to move to make plans for short stay accommodation on the its land.

  • 2011 BTC agrees to relocate to Barnard Park even though members would prefer to stay at their current site.

  • 2018 BTC’s tennis future is about to be served up an ace with its move east of its present site to Barnard Park.  The 15 grass courts are greening up well.

  • Sat 12th October 2019 With 15 brand new grass courts, 12 fabulous blue and green hard courts and a spectacular new club house BTC members moved up the road to their new venue at 3 Carey Street.

  • 2019 Official Opening of BTC’s new tennis centre by Australian tennis great Margaret Court – Saturday 23/11/2019 – City of Busselton, Tennis West, Busselton community, past and present members of BTC and members of clubs from far and wide attended, many trying out the new courts.

  • 2020 – Jan – BTC played host over 2 weeks to the Australian Seniors Tennis Tournament using its new courts, 15 grass courts at its old club, courts at Bunbury TC - over 700 players participated.

  • 2020 March 20th: BTC courts and clubhouse closed because of Coronavirus – SWLPT, BTC Championships cancelled,  no play on courts for about 6 weeks – then court hire allowed with strict rulings – organised play allowed with restricted numbers (20 players ) as of May 18th – organised play (Phase 3) with up to 100 players allowed (clubhouse opens) as of June 6th -

House and Court pic ?

History-1.jpg
Slide02.jpg